Friday, June 25, 2010

Before and After

Before: 7:00am. Exactly 1 hour before I started I had Boyd take this picture of the smartest day of my life. So this test, in case you're not familiar, is the first part of 3 exams that you have to pass to become licensed to practice medicine in the United States. USMLE step 1 covers basic science, supposedly, but the truth is that every question is a mile long clinical vignette. The problem with step 1 is that you don't just have to pass it if you want to do something other than family medicine (which is great, don't get me wrong), but you really have to bring your "A" game to be considered for top specialties (read: anywhere in Boston, Seattle, Baltimore, New York, Chicago, or basically the whole state of California).

The other crazy thing is that you are timed (better pee fast!) for exactly 7 hours and 45 minutes. Only 45 minutes of that is break time. The rest is the test. No matter what you're doing, you're timed. And since you have to be fingerprinted, interrogated by the testing police, and ready to show your papers every time you enter and exit the room (not to mention you have to wrestle with the stupid locker that holds your pathetic morsel of a granola bar), you basically waste 5 mintues just getting out to take your break. Have you been adding this up? That's right--if you take a break every hour you have five, 5 minute breaks and a 20 minute lunch. But wait, subtract 5 from every break. Now you have a 5 minute lunch and a few other 5 minute breathers. Anyways, I just needed to rant about that. Because honestly, what's it to them if it's an 8 and half hour test with 90 minutes of break time?

Anyways, before this all got started I took this ridiculous picture where I look slightly delirious. That's what the medical licensing test will do to you I guess. I'm holding my "bible." First Aid. You basically have to memorize the 600 page book and you'll do great. Which was awesome. Blah. Hey, but look, I still had the frame of mind to put in earings that morning. Now that's truly a doctor for the 21st century.


After: 5:30pm. I think I've finally shed my slightly psychotic look from the morning. Boyd and I went out to one of my favorite Italian places in Tucson--Tavolinos--for dinner. And then where? To Borders of course. Now, unless you think we are completely crazy for going to a book store after my board exam, let me just say that I only came out with cheap beach reads. The exam went as well as a board exam can go, I think. There were definitely questions I think they pulled out of places where the sun don't shine, but I think I'm allowed to have a mild case of "stick-it-to-the-man-iosis" if you know what I mean. Tune in next time for coverage on our San Diego getaway where we got a screaming deal on our sweet beach house and I scored my very first Coach purse. Yep, Boyd loves me.

5 comments:

Eevi said...

Sooo awesome! Congrats!

Kristi said...

Congrats!! That's a huge achievement. My lab is in the med school building and I have been seeing everyone studying for that test all summer. It stressed me out just watching them.

Rachel said...

Nice work! If anyone can do well on a test like this, it's you. You definitely deserve a nice vacation!

PS Even though I like you as a brunette, I love that you're back to blond.

Kat Clark said...

Hooray that you whooped that test right in the you know what!!! Can't wait to hear about San Diego. Hope it was sunny and delightful and just refreshing!

Camille said...

Great idea to do a before and after shot! I'll bet you did really well. At least for now it's over, right? I remember thinking at a high school track meet once "Is this the best shape I'll ever be in?" Funny how sometimes you recognize those moments when you may have "peaked" in some way. Good to stretch yourself and good to get back to normal.