Tuesday, October 11, 2011

CSA...The Plunge

So Boyd and I joined a CSA. Which, for those of you have escaped the debates over the last decade or so on agri-business, stands for community supported agriculture. Basically we bought a share of local produce which we pick up each week and must figure out how to cook, even if it includes Komatsuna or Kohlrabi. We have debated for probably 3 years whether or not we should take the dive, because I wasn't sure I was ready to try and figure out the mystery ingredients, but (after two years of watching Food Network's "Chopped") we finally gave in. I think our recent reading of the Omnivore's Dilemma probably clenched it for us. The Tucson CSA also includes optional shares of locally-raised grass-fed beef and lamb, free-range chickens and turkeys, pork, goat's cheese, artisan bread, honey, and eggs.

So I know you are all dying to hear what our loot included this week:

1. A bag of purple beans
2. A bag of basil
3. 2 lemon cucumbers
4. 2 green bell peppers
5. 4 red potatoes
6. A bag of fresh roasted red bell peppers
7, 4 heirloom tomatoes
8. 1 loaf artisan wheat bread
9. 1/2 lb. italian sausage
10. 1 dozen eggs
11. and 1 Jack ‘o Lantern Pumpkin

Not bad, eh? I'm really excited to be eating some delicious tucson-grown delights this week. I hear that purple beans turn green when you cook them, though...so maybe we'll just be having green beans. Either way, I'm nervous for the week where I have to cook dandelion greens, but so far, I think this is a pretty safe introduction to deliciousness.

3 comments:

clara said...

Northern California has something similar called "Farm Fresh to You" that we thoroughly enjoyed for over a year until we got our own garden. It introduced us to a bunch of now favorite fruits and veggies. CSA sounds a lot more comprehensive though. Enjoy!

Katie said...

Yum! Yum! That all sounds delicious. Sometimes I really miss American produce (not something I anticipated being homesick for). You'll have to post pictures of some of your gourmet creations.

Bear said...

Call me. Time to catch up again