Monday, September 29, 2008

"Monster"

WARNING: Don't read before meals


You really don't want this type of tumor. Called a teratoma (latin = monster) this is one scary cancer (or it can be benign) in my opinion. We had to learn about this today in our lecture on neoplasms (neo=new, plasm=growth). It comes from organs that have the potential to create all the different cells types in our body (think: ovary which can differentiate in to the cells necessary for a baby). The picture above includes lots of hair (the black stuff--bottom left), teeth (the white blob--bottom right), skin, brain tissue, cartilage, fat, and a juicy cyst (the yellow stuff, top left).
Boyd wondered the other day if I thought everything in medicine was sad. Because evidently when I'm studying I say "oh how sad" quite often. Well, I told him no, I think some things are gross. Usually that includes things that people do to themselves when they should know better-- like STDs. Since people cannot help getting a teratoma as far as I understand, I think it is sad. But I have to be honest with myself that I think it is really gross too.

3 comments:

morgan larsen said...

well first of all that is quite disguisting and i just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

second of all as for your samonella comment, samonella, schmanonella, are imune systems are better than that, they are africanized!

Bert and Benton said...

that's disgusting!! goo.
Thanks for coming over to see baby Macey, it's always so fun to see you guys!! Can't wait till Thanksgiving!!

Colette said...

Gross, and I am soo sorry about leaving you off the friends blog. I owe you ice cream when ever you come and visit!