Thursday, April 2, 2009

Evolution of the nest

We have this dove who lives in a tree outside our front window. And since we live on the second floor we look right into her nest. She had two little eggs about 3 weeks ago and then they became active, fluffy little chicks. Then they got a little too big for the nest and now they are gone. I wish I had seen the flying lessons.

But now the mom bird is acting kind of strange. When I got home from school today she was hopping up our front stairs one at a time. I didn't want to disturb her so I just watched for a few minutes and sure enough she hopped up every one. I don't think I've ever seen a bird hop stairs before. Now she is pacing our balcony looking very forlorn.

I think she is having a midlife crisis now that she is an empty-nester. Also, she doesn't like me. I keep trying to tell her that I just want to look at her babies, not eat them, but she doesn't trust me. She's really not much of a pet. Maybe next year we will get a cat.

4 comments:

morgan larsen said...

That was a very amusing story about the bird. You know, maybe if being a doctor doesn't work out for you, you could be a writer (okay, so you don't like that idea, but you really do come up with funny clever bits all of the time).

Btw just for clarification, my kids are going to be named Elliot and Kate and since you aren't going to have kids FOREVER, you know you have no chance for those names!!!

Dani said...

I wouldn't trust you not to eat my babies, either.

The Dahl Family said...

If you get a cat, it won't be you the mom bird will be eyeing with suspicion, it will be the carnivorous cat!

Bear said...

I wish I could have seen a picture of your sweet baby birdies. Don't forget next time a cute animal reproduces outside your window to take pictures of it.