Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Moral of the Story



Tonight is my first night in Boston for my (lonely) 6 week internship at Mass General Hospital. I do have a roommate and sadly it's not Boyd. I've warped back to college with the mismatched plates and shower bulging at the seams with random bath gels. My roommate is young and her parents were here when I arrived, stocking her half of the refrigerator. I remember those days. And I am proud that I now know exactly what to buy to stock my half. I even know how to cook it all without calling mom.


I love this city--I'm living steps away from beautiful Harvard Sqaure in an old brick walk-up and it's 60 degrees outside to boot--but it's just not the same without fancy Sunday night desserts, Simpson's episodes, and goodnight kisses.


I never realized how much time I spend just shooting the breeze with Boyd. I called him today to tell him about the beautiful breeze I felt sitting beneath the spotty shadows of a maple tree in Porter square while eating an ice cream cone but he wasn't there and it made me sad even amidst the beauty of it all.


This is a growing experience. If for nothing else than for me to realize that I am so lucky to have what I've got so that I will be wise enough to never let it go. But since I'm here now, I'm looking on the bright side and I'm going to chalk it up to adventure.

5 comments:

Usandthings said...

Hey Lindsay, I just saw you linked on Bridget's blog so I thought I'd come over to say hello. I'm incredibly jealous that you're spending time in Boston, but understand that it's bittersweet without your other half. And, it's a bummer because I was just telling Tyler that we should invite you guys down for dinner and games sometime. I guess we'll have to put that off until you get back. Hang in there!

Bert and Benton said...

You're back in Boston? How fun!! I'm sorry Boyd doesn't get to be with you :( what a trip to be back living with a roommate, so funny. Boyd gets to come visit right? I wish I could. Enjoy the beauty of it all for me! So jealous

Kat Clark said...

You are such a poignant writer. It's like you are intelligent and in medical school or something. ;) I love reading your posts but I am sad you are lonely for Boyd. Six weeks should fly by, right?

Kat Clark said...

I don't mean to overwhelm your blog with all of my comments but I wanted to let you know that my friend who photographed that wedding comes to Tucson sometimes. Her brother lives here and I am sure that the next time she visits she would be happy to make her camera capture the cuteness of you and Boyd. :)

Bear said...

Lindsay, you have always been able to make it through really rough times. You can look on the bright side better than anyone. I'm so glad I had you as a roommate during those college days. I Hope your new roommate is good to you and that she learns as much from you as I did. Sorry you are without Boyd. love you.