Monday, July 27, 2009

Flossing's for the birds

I can hear my dental hygienist scolding me in my mind when I don't floss. So annoying! I have clearly committed dental sin and then I have to floss twice the next day as penance. However, I can pop in the cheetos and my doctor is still smiling merrily at me saying, "you deserve it!" I like my doctor. So sometimes I want to tell my dental hygienist to get herself some fanny floss and mind her own business.
Some things I do solely out of guilt. Flossing is one of them, hands down. Checking out books that can be classified as something other than literary junk food is another. You know, the classics, like (yawn) Moby Dick. I'll get a few chapters in and then, whoops!, they're due again already. Darn. But no one's the wiser that I finished that cheap-o murder mystery or read every recipe in the cookbook about chocolate, plus polished off the whole Twilight series in the same week. And it's really just because the librarian gives me that stare, you know? I feel all guilty inside if I slip into the romance section because I know she's throwing me eye darts from the set in the back of her head.

So does anyone else do things like this solely out of guilt? Or does everyone actually read those stuffy classics they check out?

9 comments:

Minda said...

I think I checked Pride and Prejudice out like five times and then finally asked for it for Christmas, then I think it took me three years to actually finish reading it, I loved it, but totally couldn't focus on it long, so yeah, I know what you mean.

Camille said...

I eat leftovers from the fridge out of guilt. I can't stand the idea of wasting food and when I do throw something out it has to be REALLY bad. I guess I'll never own a restaurant.

Bert and Benton said...

HEY!! I got Fanny FLoss for Christmas one year! haha

Brittany Cornett said...

Mostly my guilt is spent on my child. Like at the library I always pick out a few books for her even though all she wants is a Dora movie. Or I buy carrots/ broccoli frequently not because I always want them but I know they are the only veggies she will eat. But I am totally with you on consuming some books in a few days and then thinking where did the time go I am sure I was supposed to be doing other more important things.

Kat Clark said...

I never check out the classics let alone read them. They are too boring and reading is supposed to be a release and enjoyable. I don't like to think too hard when I am reading a book because that takes effort which in turn makes me sleepy and then I am not reading, I am sleeping. Anyway, I hate when I am at a fast food restaurant and something sticks to the tray. I always feel guilty about leaving it there so I end up getting my hands all gunky by pulling it off and shoving it into the trash can. Last thing, sorry this is so long, I want you to stop feeling guilty about flossing and stop doing it for a week. Then start back up and see what comes out of your teeth. You will NEVER do it out of guilt again. Promise!

Amanda said...

The sole reason I attend Book Club is so I am forced to read real literature. I have become a children's book junkie!

Lilianne said...

Linds, that picture cracks me up! I was laughing pretty hard about that. Hmm...things I do out of guilt? How does I pumped every two hours for the first three months of my baby's life because I felt so guilty about giving her formula. Don't worry I got over it. But it was some SERIOUS guilt. I'm with you on the books. I totally devour up the not-so-classics and totally dread reading the boring ones...which obviously NEVER get read. We can't wait to get you back!!! We've missed you terribly.

Sassy Savvy said...

I've read classics because they are classics, sometimes I enjoy them, but more often than not I don't. Curtis and I are in agreement that you have to read a lot of crappy books in school. Why do they make you read lame books when there are so many good ones out there? If you really want to get kids interested in reading, give them good books! Now Twilight, I know it's a cheap thrill, but I love them! So there :) I do dishes out of guilt and sanitary concerns :) If I don't do them Curtis will, and then I start to feel guilty because he would do ALL of them lol.

Dr. DeFazio said...

Boyd, how could you allow such a comment on Moby Dick to go unchecked? Dr. DeFazio