Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Dermatology 101

Yesterday in neurology clinic:

Dr. Torres (the attending): "So what do you want to do with your life?"

Me: "Well, I have a top 5...it pretty much boils down to dermatology, neurology, family medicine, pediatrics, or endocrinology. Pretty broad, I know, but I think derm is definitely up there."

Dr. Torres: "Dermatology? Well, you have to be all posh for that. Wear high heels and have those Louis Vouitton purses."

Me: "huh, yeah. It's pretty competitive I hear."

Dr. Torres: "Yep, really. You have to have perfect skin too. I don't know about that for you. They're all about looking beautiful. So much of their practices are cosmetic, you know, so just keep your options open because you might not cut it."

Me: "well, I'm working really hard, you know, and I think I can do it. I've got good board scores and research so I hope that makes a difference too."

Dr. Torres: "Well, you know, you won't get into a top program or anything, but maybe somewhere in the midwest. Yeah, I bet there are some fat derms in the midwest. Gotta be."

I'm not even making this stuff up. Seriously? I know I'm pretty nerdy, and not exactly the most beautiful person you'll ever meet, and I struggle with Rosacea/acne, and I also know you can't take this stuff seriously, but you tell me, how would you feel if your superior talked to you like this? And she has to evaluate me! Um, I'm pretty sure I won't be applying for neurology in Tucson is all I have to say.

12 comments:

Bridget said...

That is harsh. And I have to say that I am surprised to read those comments because you always seemed pretty with-it when it came to beauty. Huh.

Brittany Cornett said...

that guy is bs.I think you are beautiful though I know you didnt write this to get compliments. maybe he thinks beautiful is bleach blond and big boobs(I know you are blond but you know the type I am talking about).

Lilianne said...

Holy poopy cosh! Some people, I tell you! That's ridiculous! Perhaps there is a portion of the derm group that look like this and they are the ones that are all on TV! Maybe he/she watches too much TV and that is their only reality to the "real world?" Oh, Lindsay. You are beautiful. And skinny. And fashionable. And probably much smarter than that doctor! :) Hang in there. At least the attendings don't slap your hands and arms like they do at Georgetown! xoxo

The Dahl Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Dahl Family said...

I'm trying again. I think Dr. Torres needs to visit the optometrist. You are beautiful. Fat?? Are you kidding??

Dani said...

Fat Lindsay--that's what I always call you behind your back. NOT. That's some pretty serious rudeness.

Eevi said...

You are fabulous, hot and smart. You can do ANYTHING you want! What an idiot! I cant wait to hear more about your rotations. I see med students all the time at my unit and hope to see you there soon enough when you do your rotation with general surgery

Sarah said...

Are you kidding?!?! 1. He is wrong about you 2. He is wrong about dermatologists... There are two types of derms (in my opinion) the cosmetic type and the real derms. Being a cosmetic dermatologist would be incredible boring and shallow anyway. There are real dermatology issues out there and you would be great there! Plus he is a &^%$^. You have been around the block in the medical world and you know *&^% are a dime a dozen. Medicine sure needs you.
Miss ya

Bert and Benton said...

Ok, Benton and I are in awe of the ridiculousness of that conversation. WOW. Really. People must not realize what they're saying sometimes. You're beautiful, and likely smarter than most doctors out there.

So, can't wait to see you Saturday! I made some chocolate covered brownies, I thought I'd help you on your journey to be a fat dermatologist :)
Seriously so ridiculous. If you're fat, than I'm morbidly obese.

morgan larsen said...

Serious? No really, serious? So is this Dr. Torres all christian louboutin?? Which by the way I wouldn't mind a pair, maybe applying for derm would give you a good excuse (and me too, just to be supportive). You have the look, you just need the accessories.

Kat Clark said...

That is unreal! I hear the resident/attending crap all the time but this is just MEAN! For the record, I think you are perfectly tiny and fit, a true beauty and would look smokin' in a pair of high heels and a white coat! Besides that, you are a total genius (hello board scores!) and you are so personable. Every dermatologist that I have ever met lacks personality, they NEED YOU in their field!

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

WOW! That seems totally out of line to me. I also don't see why someone has to look "perfect" to help with other people's skin problems? That doesn't make sense to me. Follow what you want to do &don't let someone tell you what you can't and can do!