Monday, October 25, 2010

HELP!

I'm having a quarter-life crisis trying to figure out what to specialize in. I have to turn in my elective choices for the end of 3rd year/4th year and that means I need a pretty solid idea of what I want to do for the rest of my life. Yikes! Only 11 months before I have to make my final decision--I didn't think it would come so fast. I feel like I pretty much enjoy everything in medicine (except maybe psychiatry) and so now more than ever I have no idea what I want to go into. I've put up a poll for everyone to put in their two-sense. I won't tell which way I'm leaning until after it closes.

For those not familiar with internal medicine, because I have a lot of people asking me what that is exactly, that includes the following: cardiology, nephrology, infectious disease, pulmonology, gastroenterology, rheumatology, endocrinology, allergy/immunology, and hematology/oncology. So basically everything between the neck and the hips.

To be continued...

6 comments:

morgan larsen said...

easy. the one that makes the most moola. lots of moola. that means these: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in case you were thinking i meant a cow.

Sarah said...

My brother in law is in the process of residency applications and still doesn't know what he is going to do!!!! You have plenty of time (and you will be great at whatever you do).

DDahl said...

As far as 4th year rotations go, doing as many internal medicine subspecialties and a subinternship is always a good idea. Medicine is needed in whatever you to into. Consider cardiology (EKG reading practice), rads (may never have "exposure" to that again), lab medicine/path, etc. You only need maybe one rotation in what you think your residency will be because this is your chance to do everything else. Doing surgery rotations during 4th year when you are going into internal medicine is not a bad idea, because when would you ever develop a knowlege of surgical diseases? Who wants an internist who is relatively ignorant of surgery?

DDahl said...

P.S. Surgical diseases are more fun to take care of than medical ones (most of the time).

pam said...

Would it be wrong to propose "Executive Chef?"

Bear said...

I missed the pool but my vote is surgery.