Thursday, February 5, 2009

Jitterbug

I challenge you to find something more nerve racking than knowing that tomorrow morning you will have to identify nearly every muscle, artery, nerve, and bone in the human body. And you will also have to know their functions and pathology. Fill in the blank. Spelling counts. On cadavers. In a room that looks like the morgue. Welcome to medical school.

Okay so I thought of a few things. Orally defending your dissertation. Taking the medical school boards. Finding out you're pregnant when you're not expecting it (don't worry, we're not pregnant). Sky diving. So actually maybe there are a lot of things. But hey, if you want your anatomy questions answered, you know who to call.

i.e. today Boyd asked me what the biggest muscle in the human body was: gluteus maximus. And then what the smallest was: the stapedius in the ear. But then we agreed that probably the smallest were the arrector pili muscles in your arm hair. They give you goose bumps. But they aren't usually counted because they are "smooth" muscle (i.e. you can't control them voluntarily). So now you know some trivia.

Also, one of my friends recently won a contest at a trivia night for knowing there are more bones in the hand than in the foot. So now you can win at trivia too. Just by reading our blog.

3 comments:

morgan larsen said...

Wow I am impressed you can retain all of that knowledge in your head all at once, there is no way I could do that

Dani said...

I bet I could beat you in a bone-naming contest! okay, no I couldn't. how did it go?

in case you were wondering, my word verification word is "ressespi." is that a bone? or a muscle?

Sassy Savvy said...

My sister and her husband do a lot of body part naming. Curtis went into food science, so I can name food...haha. Recently I learned that vinegar is actually watered down acetic acid which is a product of the fermentation process. The things you learn at school :) Good luck!